Titling Used Vehicles With an Out-of-State Title


Quite often, the title you receive from the seller may be one issued from a neighboring state such as Idaho or Utah. Some states no longer require the seller`s signatures to be notarized on the title. A good rule of thumb is if the title contains a place for a notary, have the seller`s signatures notarized. You will need the following:

  • Original title properly signed by the seller(s) 
  • Title is clear of all liens or a lien release/termination statement is provided.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form.
  • The odometer disclosure on the title must be properly completed or a separate odometer disclosure statement (PDF) must be presented. Check the odometer information on the title. It must conform to federal standards by reading as follows: I hereby state that the odometer now reads (no tenths) and to the best of my knowledge reflects the actual mileage of the vehicle... If the statement does not include the (no tenths), a separate statement is required. Odometer statements are not necessary if the model year is more than 10 years old.
  • If purchased from a Wyoming dealer, you must have a Wyoming Sales/Use tax form and present it with the above documents. This is not required if the vehicle was purchased from an individual or from an out-of-state dealer. If purchased from a dealer, you may also be provided with a Dealer Reassignment Form which the dealer may have you sign and have your signature notarized.
  • If the vehicle is not purchased from a Wyoming dealer, a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection completed by a local law enforcement officer or local dealer on a Wyoming VIN-HIN Inspection Form. Be prepared to provide proof of ownership (dealer`s invoice or bill of sale) and identification. Click here for more information on how to have your VIN inspected https://www.tetonsheriff.org/166/VIN-Inspections.
  • If purchased from a dealer, you will need the dealer`s purchase invoice and proof of insurance to obtain or transfer license plates. If purchased from an individual, you will need a bill of sale.
  • If purchased from an individual or not provided with a Wyoming Dealer`s Reassignment Form, at least one of the buyer`s must sign the Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form.
  • If financed, a Security Agreement/Loan Contract or UCC financing statement.

When in doubt, give us a shout:

  • Phone: 307-733-4433
  • E-mail: vehicletitles@tetoncountywy.gov
  • Fax: 307-739-8634