Building a Structure Without a Building Permit

When do you need a building permit? Any new structures or additions including porches, retaining walls over 4 feet high, roof replacements, window replacements, additions of exterior doors, interior remodels, or decks over 30 inches above grade need building permits. When the project is minimal, a Miscellaneous Permit (PDF) may still be required.


There are two exceptions to the above list:

  • Agriculture-related buildings that house farm implements, feed or livestock that are under 600 square feet and are only 2-sided or less.
  • Accessory structures such as storage sheds or playhouses that do not exceed 200 square feet or one-story and that are non-habitable.

To find out if your project needs a building permit, please call our offices at 307-733-7030. Even if a Building Permit is not needed, a Planning Review may be necessary to comply with setbacks, maximum floor area and maximum site development standards.

Related Land Development Regulations

Contact Information

For more information on any code topics or other zoning issues, please stop by our offices at 200 South Willow Street in Jackson or call 307-733-3959. To report a violation, please go to this link.