Home Occupation / Business Violations

Can you start a business from your home? Many residents operate businesses from their homes giving small local business a place to start. These uses need the proper permits. Uses fall under two categories: 

  • Home Businesses
  • Home Occupations

Home Occupations

Home Occupations are carried on by the homeowner with no employees and the area used is restricted to 25% or less of the living space. Examples are professional services like accountants, real estate agents, artists, music studio, tailors, tutors or counselors. This use requires a Basic Use Permit (PDF) and is handled administratively by the Planning Staff. Please check with your CC&Rs first as some subdivisions do not allow home businesses.

Home Businesses

Home Businesses are the next step up where the homeowner has 1 to 3 employees and the space dedicated to the business is 25% or less of the living space and part or all of the outbuildings. Examples are contracting businesses, offices, music, art or other schools, art studios or galleries. In most residential areas, a Conditional Use Permit (PDF) is required, which includes public hearings before the Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners.

Related Land Development Regulations

Contact Information

For more information on any code topics or other zoning issues, please stop by our offices at 200 South Willow Street in Jackson or call 307-733-3959. To report a violation, please go to this link.