Title Tips

The following tips may be valuable when you are going through the automobile titling process:

  • Never buy a vehicle if the seller can`t show give you a Title and Bill of Sale, unless you can verify that the title is being held by a lien holder (bank, credit union, etc.).
  • As of January 1, 2010, Motorized watercraft, snowmobiles and small trailers must be titled in order to be registered after they are purchased or their ownership has been transferred.
  • When buying a vehicle, make sure all previous liens have been properly released. Various states have different requirements for releasing liens, so it is a good idea to call our office to find out about the requirements of the state from which the current title was issued.
  • You must be a Wyoming resident to obtain a Wyoming certificate of title. A physical address is required by the Treasurer’s Office and a mailing address must be provided for you to receive your title.
  • When selling a vehicle with a Wyoming title, all sellers must sign off in the presence of a Notary Public or a Deputy of the County Clerk’s office. Even in cases where there are two names joined by or (example John or Jane Doe), both parties must sign the seller`s block on the reverse side of the title and both signatures must be notarized.
  • When purchasing a vehicle from a private party, you must provide a notarized bill of sale or notarized affidavit of gift to the Treasurer’s Office.
  • Weight slips are required to register trailers with the Treasurer’s Office. Exceptions are mobile homes.
  • If the title you receive is from any state other than Wyoming, you must have the vehicle identification number (VIN) inspected by a local law enforcement officer. Be prepared to provide proof of ownership (dealer`s invoice or bill of sale) and identification.
  • If the vehicle you purchase was manufactured within the past 10 years, you must have a conforming odometer statement (PDF) signed by both the seller and the buyer.
  • Licensed Wyoming dealers are authorized to issue a temporary plate permit for the vehicles they sell. Contact the Treasurer's Office if you need to inquire about an extension. 
  • When buying a vehicle from any licensed Wyoming auto dealer, you must be provided with a Wyoming Sales/Use Tax form. This form pertains to the sales tax due to the Treasurer`s Office, and a copy must accompany your title work.  Sales tax must be paid within 65 days of purchase to avoid penalties.
  • Wyoming law requires that when an out-of-state title carries a brand it must be placed on the new Wyoming title. In other words, if your out-of-state title has "salvage," "rebuilt," "flood," etc. typed on it, your Wyoming title will also have any such designation on it. Depending on the brand type, your vehicle may be subject to an additional process with the State of Wyoming before registration is allowed.
  • Bring your identification with you when visiting the title office.

When in doubt, give us a shout:

  • Phone: 307-733-4433
  • E-mail: vehicletitles@tetoncountywy.gov
  • Fax: 307-739-8634